One unusual fact is that a few people consider John Hanson to be the real first president because he was the first President of Congress who was elected under the Articles of Confederation in 1781. Of course, most everyone knows that George Washington was the first president elected by the people in 1789.
- US coins have had the images of: Washington, Lincoln, Jefferson, F. D. Roosevelt, Kennedy, and Eisenhower. Paper currency has portrayed Washington, Lincoln, Jefferson, Franklin, Jackson, Grant, McKinley, Madison, Cleveland, and Wilson.
- Washington, Jefferson, and John Adams all loved to play marbles and were collectors of them.
- Jefferson invented the dumbwaiter, coat hanger, and a wheel cipher.
- Herbert Hoover's son had two alligators as pets.
- Warren Harding played poker often and lost a set of White House china during a game.
- A speeding ticket was issued to Grant for riding his horse too fast.
- John Quincy Adams usually took a morning nude swim in the Potomac River.
- Garfield could write in Greek with one hand and Latin with the other at the same time.
So, now you know lots of unusual facts about presidents and you can look at American history with new eyes.