The famous pop star Michael Jackson was born in Gary, Indiana, a suburb of Chicago, Illinois, in August of 1958.
Michael Jackson's Birth Home
- The home owned by his family at the time of his birth is still standing in Gary, and has been a mecca for fans in the past, particularly at the time of his death in 2009.
- The house is located on a street that has, in the years since Jackson's childhood, been renamed "Jackson Street."
Adult Homes of Michael Jackson
As Jackson grew older and his career moved forward, he left his home in Indiana, as did his brothers and sisters.
- In 1988, he purchased a sizable acreage package of land near the city of Santa Ynez, California, and used the space to build what became known as Neverland Ranch, his sprawling estate, private home, amusement park, and the basis for his private life.
- The Ranch included everything from a Ferris wheel to a menagerie and movie theater on the grounds, and was valued at over $100 million in the early 2000s.
- A staff of 40 employees patrolled and helped manage the grounds, even when Jackson was not on the premises; this home was certainly a far cry from the working class neighborhood of Gary, Indiana.
- Jackson remained proud of his roots, and of how hard he had worked to achieve his wealth and status.
- He remained living at Neverland for most of the remainder of his life, but upon his death it was to Gary, Indiana that many fans went, armed with signs, mementos, candles, and bouquets.
- The simple reminder that Jackson was an ordinary person from an ordinary town was part of what constituted his appeal for so many of his fans, who had grown up listening to his music and watching his work as an artist evolve.