While some artists might dabble in painting as teenagers, most don't really get their start until adulthood. Believe it or not, Salvador Dali was only six years old when he completed his first painting. And it was not just a bunch of scribbles either.
How Old Was Artist Salvador Dali When He Did His First Painting?
Salvador Dali's First Painting
Born Salvador Domingo Felipe Jacinto Dalí i Domènech in 1904 in Figueres, Spain, Salvador Dali was remarkably imaginative and creative from a very young age. Dali created his first painting in 1910; it was entitled Landscape Near Figueras. This is his earliest known work.
The painting is quite exquisite for a small child and features mountains beyond a vanishing point, as well as different brush strokes to create depth and movement. The landscape painting borrows influence from the Impressionist style. The painting is mostly green with some snow on the mountains and some red-roofed buildings in the distance.
Landscape Near Figueras is today included among the permanent collection in St. Petersburg, Florida at the Salvadore Dali Museum. It was previously part of Albert Field's private collection in New York.
Although Dali started painting at six years of age, he did not have another painting until he was nine. The majority of his work was created in his later teenage years and beyond, but the seeds were planted extremely early in his life.
Salvador Dali's Paintings
The following is a list of some of Salvador Dali's major paintings, along with the year they were created. Dali was born in 1904, you can tell how old he was for each painting based on the completion date provided. All said, Dali produced over 1,500 paintings over the course of his illustrious career.
- Landscape Near Figueras (1910)
- Vilabertin (1913)
- Fiesta in Figueras (1916)
- View of Cadaques with Shadow of Mount Pani (1917)
- Crepusular Old Man (1918)
- Port of Cadaques (1919)
- The Artist's Father at Llane Beach and View of Portdogue (1920)
- The Garden of Llaner (1921)
- Caberet Scene (1922)
- The Basket of Bread (1926)
- The Girl From Figueras (1926)
- Composition with Three Figures (1927)
- The Persistence of Memory (1931)
- The Birth of Liquid Desires (1932)
- Gala in the Window (1933)
- A Sense of Speed (1934)
- The Burning Giraffe (1937)
- Shirley Temple (1939)
- Honey is Sweeter than Blood (1941)
- The Poetry of America (1943)
- The Temptation of Saint Anthony (1946)
- Christ of Saint John of the Cross (1951)
- Crucifixion (1954)
- The Sacrament of the Last Supper (1955)
- Still Life Moving Fast (1956)
- The Rose (1958)
- The Discovery of American by Christopher Columbus (1959)
- Dali in New York (1965) (movie)
- Tuna Fishing (1967)
- The Swallow's Tail (1983)
Of course, Salvador Dali painted many other famed works during his lifetime. This is just a smattering of some of his most famous pieces. Salvador Dali created his first painting at only six years old and he painted until six years before his death.
Throughout his lifetime, in addition to his hundreds of paintings, Dali also created illustrations for books, drawings, lithographs, animated cartoons, performance designs, costumes, sculptures, and other works in the field of art.