The ideals of Che Guevara were socialist ideals. Socialism is an alternative to capitalism that is somewhat closer to communism. The ideals of socialism - and thus the ideals of Che Guevara - were of a society based on common ownership and collaborative decision making.
Ideals of Che Guevara
In addition to having socialist ideals, Che Guevara also had other ideals and beliefs as well. One of the major beliefs that Che Guevara had was that the Cuban government had to be overthrown in order to create a socialist society that was better for all:
- The government of Cuba during this period of time was being run as a democratic government. However, one person still maintained all the power and all the control in the country.
- To make matters worse, the Cuban government was supported by the United States.
- Many did not like this and decided, like “Che,” that a government based on the ideals of socialism would be better.
- These thoughts led them to lead revolts against the current government and attach them without relenting.
Che Guevara and the Cuban Revolution
Guevara became one of the primary figures in the efforts to overthrow the current Cuban government.
- Socialists, including Guevara, believed that the only way they would achieve their ideals would be if the government was overthrown with deadly military force.
- Volunteers started to train for guerrilla warfare to revolt against the standing government.
- After going through all of the training, the members of the group were assigned different positions in the revolution.
- Guevara was also trained in the art of guerrilla warfare and became very skilled.
Che Guevara and Castro
Guevara met and became very close to Fidel Castro.
- Guevara became so close to Castro in fact that he made him his second lieutenant in his guerrilla arm to roust out the government and to enforce their ideals of socialism upon the people.
- Despite aid from the United States to fight against the insurgent bands of guerilla groups, the government did fall into the hands of Fidel Castro and Castro quickly became one of the most well known and notorious leaders in history.
- Throughout Castro's time as the leader of Cuba, Guevara continued to heroically serve for Castro, both medically - since Guevara was trained in medicine - and also as a soldier on the front lines to protect the ideas behind socialism.
Who Was Che Guevara?
Now that you know about the ideals of Che Guevara, you may also be interested in learning about his background and how he developed those ideals:
- Although more commonly referred to by the nickname Che, Che Guevara was actually born Ernesto Rafael Guevara de la Serna.
- Che born on June 14, 1928 into a middle class liberal family in the small town of Rosario Argentina.
- “Che” was the oldest of five children born to his parents and he suffered from bad asthma throughout most of his young life.
- By the time “Che” was 19 years of age he was attending college at a local university to study medicine.
- Every chance he got, “Che” and a friend of his would take jaunts on their motorcycles during breaks from school.
- It was on these rides that “Che” began to form his opinion of the government and decided that a government and society based on socialism would allow people to be treated much more equally.