Salvador Dali was only six years old when he completed his first painting. It was not just a bunch of scribbles either.
Salvador Dali's First Painting
Dali created his first painting in 1910 and it was entitled Landscape Near Figueras. The painting is quite exquisite for a small child and features mountains beyond a vanishing point, as well as different brush strokes to create depth and movement.
Although Dali started at six years of age, he did not have another painting until he was nine. The majority of his work was created in his later teenage years and beyond, but the seeds were planted extremely early in his life.
Salvador Dali's Paintings
The following is a list of some of Salvador Dali's major paintings, along with the year they were created. Dali was born in 1904, you can tell how old he was for each painting based on the completion date provided.
- Landscape Near Figueras (1910)
- Vilabertin (1913)
- Fiesta in Figueras (1916)
- View of Cadaques with Shadow of Mount Pani (1917)
- Crepusular Old Man (1918)
- Port of Cadaques (1919)
- The Artist's Father at Llane Beach and View of Portdogue (1920)
- The Garden of Llaner (1921)
- Caberet Scene (1922)
- The Basket of Bread (1926)
- The Girl From Figueras (1926)
- Composition with Three Figures (1927)
- The Persistence of Memory (1931)
- The Birth of Liquid Desires (1932)
- Gala in the Window (1933)
- A Sense of Speed (1934)
- The Burning Giraffe (1937)
- Shirley Temple (1939)
- Honey is Sweeter than Blood (1941)
- The Poetry of America (1943)
- The Temptation of Saint Anthony (1946)
- Christ of Saint John of the Cross (1951)
- Crucifixion (1954)
- The Sacrament of the Last Supper (1955)
- Still Life Moving Fast (1956)
- The Rose (1958)
- The Discovery of American by Christopher Columbus (1959)
- Dali in New York (1965) (movie)
- Tuna Fishing (1967)
- The Swallow's Tail (1983)
Of course, Salvador Dali painted many other famed works during his lifetime. This is just a smattering of some of his famous pieces.
Salvador Dali created his first painting at only six years old and he painted until six years before his death.
Throughout his lifetime, Dali painted over 1,500 works. He created illustrations for books, drawings, lithographs, animated cartoons, performance designs, costumes, sculptures, and other works in the field of art during his lifetime.
YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2018 by LoveToKnow Corp
Link to this page
Cite this page
"How Old Was Artist Salvador Dali When He Did His First Painting? ." YourDictionary, n.d. Web. 20 August 2018. <http://biography.yourdictionary.com/articles/how-old-salvador-dali-first-painting.html>.
How Old Was Artist Salvador Dali When He Did His First Painting? . (n.d.). Retrieved August 20th, 2018, from http://biography.yourdictionary.com/articles/how-old-salvador-dali-first-painting.html