Most of us know that Pablo Picasso achieved great prestige, fame, and honor through his art works, but aside from that, what do we know about Pablo Picasso?
Facts About Pablo Picasso
- Picasso was born on October 25, 1881 in the city of Malaga, Spain.
- Picasso's full name has 23 words. His real name is Pablo Diego José Francisco de Paula Juan Nepomuceno María de los Remedios Cipriano de la Santísima Trinidad Martyr Patricio Clito Ruíz y Picasso.
- He received this name when he was baptized.
- His long name comes from a list of saints and relatives.
- His mother's name was Maria Picasso y Lopez.
- His father's name was Jose Ruiz Blasco.
- He received his last name from his mother.
- Picasso was born extremely small. In fact, he was so tiny that the nurse thought that he was stillborn. Therefore, she left him sitting on a table while she went to take care of his mother. His uncle wound up saving him from death.
- His uncle's name was Don Salvador.
- His first word was "lapiz," the Spanish word for pencil.
- His father was an artist, art professor and museum curator.
- His father started teaching art to him when he was seven years old.
- Pablo completed his first painting when he was nine years old. The title of the painting was Le Picador. The image is of a man riding a horse in a bullfight.
- His father decided that he would give up painting when Picasso was 13 years old because he felt his son was already a better painter than him.
- Picasso was 15 when he finished First Communion, which was an extremely well known portrait depicting his father, mother, and sister.
- Picasso was not a good student and he was frequently given detention.
- When he was a teenager, his seven year old sister passed away from diphtheria. After his sister died, the family moved away to Barcelona.
- He studied at the Royal Academy of San Fernando.
- Picasso was extremely fond of the works of El Greco.
- In between his Blue and Rose Periods, Pablo Picasso moved to France.
- Picasso's first job was with an art dealer named Pere Menach.
- Picasso was a co-founder in the movement known as Cubism.
- The Nazis would not let Picasso display his paintings in Germany.
- Picasso's art work can be found in art museums throughout the world.
- Picasso had many lovers throughout his life. He often painted pictures of one his many lovers, named Dora Maar.
- Picasso had four different children by three different women.
- He was married twice.
- Picasso passed away on April 8, 1973 in Mougins, France.
Interesting facts about Pablo Picasso's life are not too difficult to come by and certainly give perspective to this very interesting man.
YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2018 by LoveToKnow Corp
Link to this page
Cite this page
"What Are Some Interesting Facts About Pablo Picasso? ." YourDictionary, n.d. Web. 19 August 2018. <http://biography.yourdictionary.com/articles/facts-about-pablo-picasso.html>.
What Are Some Interesting Facts About Pablo Picasso? . (n.d.). Retrieved August 19th, 2018, from http://biography.yourdictionary.com/articles/facts-about-pablo-picasso.html